The CEO and Founder of Fluid talks about his groundbreaking new loan product for students and why it is filling a huge gap in the market
Credit card companies used to market heavily on college campuses offering all kinds of freebies in return for a completed card application. The Credit CARD Act of 2009 stopped that practice. What this has meant is that students have seen their access to credit curtailed sharply and their ability to start building credit postponed until they’re older.
Into this void steps Fluid, the brainchild of Timothy Li, our next guest on the Lend Academy Podcast. He has found a unique way to provide students access to credit and consequently a way to start building their credit while they are in college. Fluid provides small loans of up to $500 at 0% interest. It is a fascinating idea that we explore in some depth on the show.
In this podcast you will learn:
- How Tim’s background in banking helped launch him into his career in fintech.
- The origins of Fluid and the problem they are trying to solve.
- The big problem with the Credit CARD Act of 2009.
- How their 0% personal loan for students works.
- His intention to keep a credit score ranking of colleges similar to sports rankings.
- Fluid’s business model – how they make money providing 0% loans to students.
- The work they did with Equifax to build a projection for defaults.
- How they will find students to download their app.
- The traction they are getting so far with students.
- How they are using artificial intelligence to serve contextual ads to students.
- Examples of other products Fluid might offer.
- The key metrics for their first year and their ultimate goal.
This episode of the Lend Academy Podcast is sponsored by Wunder Capital: Invest in solar projects. Do well and do good.
Click to Read Podcast Transcription (Full Text Version) Below
Founder and CEO
Timothy Li is a serial FinTech entrepreneur. He is the Founder & CEO of Fluid Credit, a credit building app exclusively for 22 million university students. Tim has held various C-level & advisory positions at RocketLoans (Quicken Loans), RealtyMogul, Kabbage, LoanDepot, Mosaic, Blinker, Think Finance, Experian and JPMorgan Chase. He’s is a senior contributor at CrowdFundInsider.com and speaks at various FinTech conferences.